The Charming Power of Gemstones
Precious and semiprecious stones have been appreciated by people throughout history not only for their beauty, but also for their healing and magical properties. The ancient Vedas describe the Chintamani gemstone, which fulfills all desires. In Ayurveda as well as in Chinese and Tibetan medicine, stones were used to rejuvenate and cleanse the body. Some other sources believe that gemstones are dwellings for powerful yogis who for some reason have lost their status. German and Scandinavian folklore mention gnomes who live in stones and own countless treasures of the Earth (gold, silver, and precious stones).
There also exists a belief that when people argue, some stones can absorb all the negativity, which can manifest as cracks in the stone.
Vedic Astrology and Ayurveda state that stones have an enormous influence on the human psyche and health. They protect their owner from hostile forces and bring health, happiness, and good luck. It was noted that all precious and semiprecious stones act differently. Some protect from evil, others may maintain health, serve as an antidote, or call for the mercy of higher powers. It is even said that some stones contribute to the safe return of a ship from a voyage.
Be careful when choosing.
Stones should be selected individually. Every gem represents certain planets, making it possible to strengthen beneficial opportunities and correct adverse trends in life. Buying random precious stones is not harmless at all because they can greatly affect the psyche, as well as the physical and subtle body, causing discomfort, headaches, and other problems. Such important areas of life as finance, family, relationships, career, etc. can also suffer. Most often, people are not aware that the cause of their problems lies in a gem (earrings, ring, or pendant). Even choosing the wrong finger for our ring can cause serious issues. Each finger and each stone corresponds to one or another planet, which may have a friendly, enemical, or neutral relationship with each other. Therefore, it is very important to wear a stone on the correct finger; that is, a planet controlled by this finger and a planet of a particular stone should be on friendly terms! If the stone is selected correctly, the wearer will gain strength, energy, and health. The psyche will strengthen and consciousness will become clearer.
Having strengthened the influence of the desired planets, we are able to readily influence many areas of our lives: improve our emotional state, bild up our health and memory, increase our ability to concentrate, meditate, and much more. The influence of each planet varies greatly, depending on the individual’s horoscope.
Rules of thumb for selecting a stone.
In Eastern culture, where the ancient Vedic knowledge is largely preserved, people are aware of the powerful action of precious stones. There are special rules for places on the body (e.g., hands and fingers) where gems should be worn, for use of different metals for the frame, for cleansing the stones, and many more.
One of the general rules is that stones must touch the skin of a person; they should not be covered with a rim.
Different gems are favorable to wear on particular days of the week.
It is also important to first wear a newly acquired gem on specific day and time. Usually, it is the day of the week that corresponds with this gem.
To be able to affect our health and destiny, gems should be at least 1.5 carats, and semiprecious stones – at least 5 carats (counting in total for a necklace or bracelet).
The stones should be of the best possible quality, without cracks, etc.
Gems and substitutes for the nine planets and seven days of the week:
Sunday – Sun – ruby; spinel, garnet, sunstone, red zircon, red tourmaline.
Monday – Moon – pearl; moon stone, cultured pearls.
Tuesday – Mars – red coral; carnelian, red jasper.
Wednesday – Mercury – emerald; aquamarine, peridot, jade, green zircon, green tourmaline.
Thursday – Jupiter– yellow sapphire.
Friday – Venus – diamond; white sapphire, clear zircon, clear quartz, white coral.
Saturday* – Saturn – blue sapphire; lapis lazuli, amethyst, turquoise, blue zircon, blue tourmaline.
Rahu – hessonite; golden grossular garnet.
Ketu – cat’s eye.
*Saturday has three corresponding planets.
Relations of fingers and planets.
Index finger – Jupiter (yellow sapphire).
Middle finger – Saturn (blue sapphire), Rahu (hessonite), Ketu (cat’s eye).
Ring finger – Sun (ruby), Mars (red coral), Venus (dimond, white sapphire).
Little finger – Mercury (emerald), Moon (natural perl).
How gems affect health.
Only stones that are natural and solid in structure can induce processes in the body. The older they are, the stronger their effect will be. Artificial, glued, or fused stones do not possess such properties.
The healing power of stones can be demonstrated by their beneficial effect on the human psyche as a whole. Old “strong” stones can influence a person’s karmic body. Also, gems affect our mental body (way of thinking), our astral body (emotional state), and our physical body (health).
Stones and the chakras (energy centers of the body)
Chakras are channels of light energy, each corresponding to a different color.
- Muladhara chakraAll black and brown stones are connected with the first chakra, which controls the life force of the body (ruby, coral, garnet, red jasper, heliotrope).
- Swadhisthana chakra
Has sexual and reproductive functions. Colors include shades of reds (carnelian, fire opal, orange jasper).
- Manipura chakraAccumulates vital energy; its stones have yellow and orange tones (topaz, amber, citrine).
- Anahata chakraIs associated with love in the highest sense of the word; its stones are of various green colors (emerald, malachite, jade, chrysoprase, aventurine, green jasper).
- Vishudha chakraIs responsible for the energy of thoughts and communication; its stones are blue and blue – green (sapphire, lapis lazuli, aquamarine, turquoise).
- Ajna chakraRepresents the center of the mental energy of a person (the third eye), its stones are dark blue and purple (sapphire, lapis lazuli, aquamarine, turquoise).
- Sahasrara chakraHelps to approach the Higher Consciousness and connect with cosmic energy; its stones are iridescent or transparent, white or purple (amethyst and fluorite).
Healing with stones
In ancient times, treatment with stones was very popular. Currently, their healing properties have largely been forgotten.
Treatment with gems originated in India, from where it passed to China and the countries of Mesopotamia, where the teaching of the healing properties of stones was supplemented with a whole series of additional knowledge. The highest mastery in the treatment was reached by Tibetan monks. The canon of Tibetian medicine “Chjud-shek” describes 404 diseases that can be completely cured using precious stones.
Sometimes, for a better effect, the minerals are crushed to make ointments.
Also, when treating ailments, the doctor seeks a stone that corresponds to the configuration of the diseased inner organ.
Which stone for which ailment:
- Allergies – zircon, coral, aventurine, malachite, lapis lazuli, sapphire, amber, pearls.
- Alcoholism – amethyst.
- Anemia – coral, garnet, hematite, ruby.
- Asthma – amber, cat’s and tiger’s eyes, malachite, sapphire, topaz, lapis lazuli.
- Infertility – ruby, chrysolite.
- Insomnia – topaz, lapis lazuli, emerald.
- Bronchitis – amber, pyrite.
- Hemorrhoids – carnelian.
- Hypertension – cat’s eye.
- Headache – turquoise, amber, hematite, coral, emerald, amethyst, lapis lazuli.
- Impotence – chrysolite, garnet.
- Cough – amber, topaz.
- Nightmares – agate, turquoise, rhinestone, carnelian.
- Childbirth help – garnet, carnelian, jade, chrysoprase, agate, moonstone.
- Migraine – agate, amethyst.
- Breast milk increase – chalcedony, white agate, rhinestone.
- Nervous system (neurosis, neuralgia, nervous exhaustion) – amazonite, aventurine, lapis lazuli, sapphire, opal, moonstone, emerald, topaz.
TODAY’S TIP: Yellow and red gold increase yang (the masculine principle), while silver and white gold work with yin (feminine energy). Wearing of gold jewelry, especially on the right hand, enhances the tough characteristics of the planets Sun and Mars. A ring made of white gold or silver (Moon energy) worn on the left hand, however, will contribute to emotional stability. The other calming stones are pearls, moonstone, and rose quartz.